Monday, July 21, 2008

Oh no...

Well, expectations just went up a lot.

Now, in order to be good, Chris Warren is going to have to do several behind-the-back assists per game. Everyone, please temper your excitement. Warren will only be working with Nash for three days. It's not like he's spending the whole summer training with the guy.

Yes. He was invited by Nash. Warren is a beast. That doesn't mean he's as good as Steve Nash fellas. Don't get me wrong. I hope he's better than Steve Nash, but that's unlikely.


Next thing you know, the message boards will "leak" a story about how Will Bogan actually turned down the Skills Academy, so Nash "settled" fro Warren. Honestly, could we stop pumpin up our inbound players to heights they cannot reach?


I saw a post that compared Terrence Henry to Jarvis Varnado "with offensive ability". He has never played a minute in college. Varnado led the NCAA in blocked shots last year. Do you see how long his arms are? They almost drag on the ground! Can we set our expectations just a little lower? If we set our expectations low, we don't have do deal with too many of these or these next year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saw Devan Downey on that list. I really wish we had landed him. He currently is what I hope Warren will become.

That guy is a stud. He pretty much carried SC last year. They were not very good, but without him they might not have won an SEC game.

If there is anyone that may be as quick or quicker than Warren, it's Downey. Not to mention he is a better scorer in the lane and has better court vision. I'm hoping Chris can develop those abilities in the next year or so, and I think he will.

Mr. Goober said...

ESPN still has Ole Miss ranked #192 out of 300 Division I teams since the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams.

While the news of Warren's talent and skill is exciting, it is a long way from Ole Miss having a consistent program much less bringing in five guys who can play 40 minutes of high level basketball.

Anonymous said...

A lot of the reason for that ranking is that for the first 12 years they measured for that ranking, we went to 0 NCAA tournaments. In the last 12 years, we haven't been nearly that bad.

We're no Kentucky, but we're not that bad of a program.

Juco All-American said...

onemantobeat,

We actually need 8 guys who can play 25 minutes of high octane basketball...

-Juco All-American

P.S. You should try this weird new thing called blogging. It's kinda fun.

Mr. Goober said...

Juco All-American,

I don't want to set the bar too high for AK. Five guys with stamina would be fantastic(that's what she said).

I have yet to complete my employment packet with RSC, so my training in blogging is still in limbo.

Once I pass my drug test, then I'll be good to go. Thanks for taking a chance on a kid with a scattered past.

onemantobeat