Tuesday, July 22, 2008

R[R]C Visits the Volunteer State

EDITOR'S NOTE: We know a lot of you don't give a shit as to what exactly we're doing with our summers. We don't care. We need to pass the time somehow.

After leaving Asheville, Whiskey Wednesday and I drove through the Great Smokies to reach our ultimate destination: Gatlinburg, Tennessee's Pancake Pantry. I know it may sound stupid to, well, everyone that isn't us, but this place is seriously one of the greatest Southern eateries. With a huge breakfast menu that features 20+ different varieties of pancakes mixed and cooked to near perfection, you cannot go wrong with this place (there's also one in Nashville if you're not into kitchy crafts and bizarre mountain folk).

A couple hearty stacks of flapjacks and a pot of coffee later, we hit I-40 to visit Knoxville and, more specificially, take a look at Neyland Stadium. After getting lost on Tennessee's campus, we pulled our car onto Pillip Fulmer Way (yep) and parked beside the stadium. Despite the ongoing construction, we easily sneaked onto the upper deck and were treated to a pretty impressive view. I only had a camera phone with me, so you'll just have to get over the grainy, off-color shot.


Neither one of us had ever been to a game in Neyland, so we were both sufficiently impressed. Another great quality about the stadium is it's proximity to the Tennessee river which lends to the SEC's 2nd best tailgating tradition: the Vol Navy. As far as college campuses are concerned, Tennessee's is nothing special. It's not too far from downtown Knoxville or the Smokies, though.

After our stopover in Knoxville we headed on into Nashville. Nashville has always been one of my favorite cities in the South. Great music, great bars, good people and a clean(er) downtown area lend to Nashville's reputation. We visited Vanderbilt's campus and made a point (as we have everywehre we've been so far) to visit the football stadium. After having seen Neyland, it was easy to be unimpressed with Vanderbilt Stadium but, let it be known, it is still impressive that a conference's "token academic school" can consistently fill a 40,000 seat venue. I'd like to see if Duke, Wake Forest, or Stanford could say such a thing.

That night, we saw a show (on a Wednesday, mind you) that would have easily headlined Proud Larry's on a Saturday which was only attended by a few dozen people. Our hosts, Scott and Lisa, explained to us that people from Nashville are more-or-less "burnt out" by all of the shows and rarely, if ever, attend them. Another thing I noticed about the audience aside from it's unexpectedly small size is that they actually listened to the music as opposed to drunkenly chatting over it.

The next morning we visited Gruhn's Guitars, Hatch Print Shop, and Grimey's Music; all local establishments which are iconic of Nashville's music heritage.

That's it. It was a short a trip but it was incredibly fun to see things which I knowingly should have seen a long time ago (espcially Athens and Neyland). Hopefully I'll actually get to visit Georgia and Tennessee during game weekends sometime in the near future. If any Bulldogs or Volunteers have a few couches for a few of us Red [REDACTED] Cuppers to crash/maybe vomit on, we'd gladly invite ourselves.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

First let me give you props on the blog. Alright, you're writing a blog about our beloved Rebels and expect us to take you seriously when you've never been to UT or Athens for a freaking game? C'mon... a true shame and perhaps it's time to remove the cup from my favorites. Don't tell me you've never seen the Rebels win in Baton Rouge or Jackson either.

The Red Cup Admin said...

This isn't to knock anyone, but I'm simply not that old. I just graduated from Ole Miss and was not raised an Ole Miss fan (my parents are Texas graduates). My family moved to Mississippi when I was in the first grade and I was lured up to Oxford by the Ole Miss Honors College and the successful Eli Manning years. I really only started following the Rebels my senior year of HS when I knew I'd be going to Ole Miss (as opposed to Texas or wherever the hell else I applied).

I know we've played UT at UT and UGA at UGA during my undergraduate years but I was either to predisposed or broke to make make such trips.

Don't worry, this really only applies to me and not so much the other Cup posters. They come from Ole Miss families and have, without any doubt in my mind, a much more extensive Rebel experience.

Long story short: I'm knew to this, relatively speaking. Please, cut me some slack.

The Red Cup Admin said...

*too* predisposed

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Grunh's guitars. I saw they had a 56 les paul jr., worth $10k. My Dad had one and said sold it for $50 to pay some bills Smooth move old man. No, I am not Pete Boone's son.

Anonymous said...

Please tell me y'all have landed press passes at SEC Media Days. If not, it's time to step your game up.

Bob said...

Halpert,

I'm sorry. We're too new to this and we're not Orson Swindle. He and the fellows at Garnet & Black Attack are the only bloggers attending that I know of.

But yeah, you're right. We need to step this shit up.

Anonymous said...

A follow up to my first post, the initial post. I had never been to the state of MS before I arrived on Saturday, went to my first Freshman class on Monday. Never missed a home game and Freshman year, only missed the trip to Fayetteville (made it to UT and Jackson for the LSU game) I can't live without it now. No excuses... this is an Ole Miss blog and it is time to step this up. Maybe it's time for a "Clay Travis" journey to all the Rebel games this season with a report out each week or a top-10 as he does. Made for a great read and might earn you some cred. Make it to Wake Forest and I'll cover all of your game day experiences. Bring tickets though.